Saturday, December 20, 2008

Feminine Intuition- Does not make the market go up

In March 2007, I got acquainted with a nice Indian woman from New York. We had a fun, romantic relationship that lasted just three months. Unfortunately we broke up while I was in Hawaii for a conference- needless to say that I did not particularly enjoy the beautiful location.

After my return I was talking to her one day and said that I had shorted the S&P 500. She, being a former CEO and a capitalist who made a ton of money through stock options, warned me to close my position because being short was rather risky and not warranted, according to her. Even though I told her my longstanding views on the market, my short position only confirmed her view that I was a very risky (foolish) person financially.

When I look back today, and see where the market is, I would have to say that my bet and my confidence in myself have been well-justified. Feminine intuition can be wrong, sometimes!

To this friend's credit, she did take me to Central Park so that I could run around the Jacqueline Onassis Reservoir and take in the sights. Thanks!

No comments: