Saturday, November 29, 2008

Time - the merciless saw, not the tender healer

My brother, who was visiting us for the holidays, just returned to his home in Canada today. My older sister is flying out tomorrow. My brother, who is extra-ordinarily talented but unbelievably humane and kind, has been a pillar of strength for me over the years, but especially this year. It has been an uneven, up and down year. Started the year with my receiving tenure, a fairly significant milestone. Then I got very attached to a young lady who then led me on a roller-coaster ride for the rest of this year, ending with a Bruce-Lee type kick in my stomach a couple of days ago. While I try to focus on the things at hand, especially my students, my brother has been the glue holding everything together. I have, though, worked hard at providing a number of opportunities for my students. I hope they gain from those experiences- stuff no one did for me in College.

As the anthem-ic Hindi song goes..
Ruk Jana nahin tu kahin haar ke
kanto pe chelke milenge saaye bahaar ke

No comments: